Mortars, Renders & Washes
Rob Buckley teaching students
lime rendering techniques.
Lime is an invaluable material, both in new sustainable building and when
renovating and repairing older properties.
Lime Day is a blend of theory
and practical work, from health and safety basics to mixing and applying
mortars, renders, plasters and washes. It also covers basic 'old house' technology which is invaluable for anyone living in an property with solid walls.
During the day the following topics will be covered:
- History of lime, from the mists of time
to the present day
- The chemistry and production
of lime, ‘The Lime Cycle’
- The role of lime as an environmentally
- The need for houses to 'breathe'
- Various types of lime and their
uses and abuses
- Lime renders, plaster and limewashes,
their production and methods of use with reference to external
and internal renders, plasters, and the various substrates encountered
such as lath and plaster, cob, stone, brick, etc.
- Natural pigments and their applications
- Practical use of trowels, floats
and other tools
- Introduction to use of a compressor
powered render gun
- Use of lime in renovation of
old buildings and in new buildings
- Lime mortars, their production
and methods of mixing and use with reference to stone, brick, unfired
earth blocks, etc.
- Repointing and the various styles
- Lime based foundations; concrete & mass
- Mortar colours, sands, pigment etc
There are a maximum of 8 places
on the course with DCRS director and tutor Rob Buckley. Rob has
been building sustainably and repairing older properties
for over 25 years with his building companies BBI and DCRS Construction Ltd. Rob has developed and been running this DCRS course for 10 years.
As this is a small class, any
particular aspect of lime or building work can be discussed with the tutor on the day.
Typical Course Participants:
- Anyone who has purchased or lives in an older property and wishes to learn about how it should be maintained.
- Anyone who wishes to carry out lime DIY to their property (no previous building knowledge required).
- Trades people, builders, plasterers who wish to extend their skills to include lime working future professional jobs.
Lime day cost
Price includes book 'Lime in Building' - a Practical Guide' by Jane Schofield
Next course dates
- Friday 24th May 2019 Full pending confirmation
Limebase, Isle Brewers, Taunton, Somerset,
Please contact us to request a place
on a course. There will be an autumn date to follow.
Leslie, February 2013